Saturday, February 18, 2017

A Letter to My Hero

February 18, 2017

Dear Papa,
Thank you. Those two words hold so much meaning when it comes to my appreciation for you. You taught me so many things about life that can’t be learned from a book. You taught me how precious life is, and how to never give up. I learned how to be assertive from you and how to strive for perfection. You taught me how to laugh and always look at the bright side of every situation, you are the reason I am an optimist.

I love you, thank you for everything!

Sincerely,
Your Granddaughter Maria

Vocabulary:

Appreciation: to admire
Precious: valuable
Assertive: confident
Strive: make great efforts to achieve or obtain something.
Optimist: someone who is always positive
Sincerely: genuinely

Vocabulary Exercise: Fill in the blanks with the vocabulary word that matches the definition

Genuninely _____________________________
Someone who is always positive _______________________________
To admire ______________________________
Valuable ___________________________
Confident ______________________________
To make great efforts to achieve or obtain something ____________________________

Grammar: Letter Writing
When writing a letter to someone you have to have a greeting. In the example above the greeting was “dear papa”. This shows who the letter is being written for. To write a greeting you could use the words “dear, to, hello, greetings etc” Next, you have the body. The body is where you write what you want to say to that person. After the body you have the complimentary close. The complimentary close is a short expression. In the example above the complimentary close was when I said “I love you, thank you for everything!” Finally, you end your letter with a signature. This is where you write your name. Before you write your name you close the letter by writing sincerely, from, love, love always, or any other closure word. In the example above my closure was sincerely.


Grammar Exercise:
  • Use the example/format above to write a letter to someone who you appreciate/admire.

1 comment:

  1. Great idea to write a letter! I also like the vocabulary and grammar point.

    ReplyDelete